Fire damage can be one of the most devastating things that can happen to a property. Not only is there damage from the fire itself, but there is also water damage from firefighters trying to put the fire out. In addition, there can be extensive damage from the smoke and soot.
A professional fire damage restoration company can help you get your property back to normal. If your home or business has been damaged by fire, you may be wondering what to expect from fire damage restoration.
What To Do After a Fire
The first thing you should do after a fire is to call a professional fire damage restoration company. A fire damage restoration company will have the experience and equipment to clean and restore your property properly.
Once you have called a fire damage restoration company, they will send a team to your property to assess the damage.
What to Expect From a Fire Restoration Company
A fire restoration company will typically:
- Remove all combustibles and debris
- Remove and sanitize all damaged areas
- Clean and dry all damaged surfaces
- Apply a protective coating to areas that may be susceptible to future water damage
- Apply a final finish to areas that require it
Fire restoration companies typically charge a fee for their services, depending on the damage’s severity.
The Most Common Causes of Fire
There are many different causes of fire. Here are some of the most common:
- Cooking accidents: Cooking is one of the most common causes of house fires. It’s important to be careful when cooking and never to leave the kitchen while food is cooking.
- Electrical problems: Faulty wiring or appliances can cause fires. Be sure to check your electrical system regularly by a qualified electrician, and don’t overload outlets with too many plugs.
- Smoking: Cigarette butts can easily start a fire if they’re not properly disposed of in an ashtray.
- Children playing with matches or lighters: Kids often play with fire without realizing how dangerous it can be. Teach your children about the dangers of fire, and store matches and lighters out of reach.
- Candles: Candles may add a nice ambiance to your home, but they can also be dangerous if not used properly. Always blow out candles before leaving the room or going to bed, and never leave them burning unattended.
Fire alarms and smoke detectors are important for protecting yourself and your family from house fires. Smoke detectors should be installed in every room of the home, and a working smoke alarm is essential for warning you when there’s danger of a fire.
Fire damage restoration is a process that can help return your home or business to its pre-fire condition. The first step is to contact a professional fire damage restoration company to assess the damage and create a plan of action.
The next step is to remove all the damaged materials, clean and disinfect the area, and then start the restoration process. The final step is to put everything back together and make sure the area is safe.
Hire quality restoration and remodeling in Homewood, AL today. BMR Homes services the Birmingham Area since 2005 and offers a wide range of services. Get in touch with us.